Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Boos, Screams Greet Met Opera's 'Tosca' Performed by Bears

NEW YORK CITY, NY - Audience reaction was harsh over Swiss director Luc Bondy's decision to cast brown bears in all the principle roles of 'Tosca.' "No one believed it," said opera critic Mallo Gaines. "Even though they dubbed in singing from an old performance, the bears were nervous and didn't like the lights and noise and started grunting. This was not Puccini." Boos and catcalls turned to screams when the bear portraying Cavaradossi shambled into the audience and cuffed several patrons, flipping them into the air like salmon. After the performance, with ambulances still arriving, Bondy remained defiant. "Some have called me 'textually unfaithful.' But I feel my choice of bears was refreshing and a welcome break from the human-centric dominance of traditional opera. Perhaps it was my way of saying 'we are all bears?' Perhaps not. In any case, we go back to people tomorrow night because we ran out of tranquilizer darts. Will I be blamed for that too?" (Photo: solarnavigator.net)

2 comments:

bbunny2009 said...

"Boos and catcalls turned to screams when the bear portraying Cavaradossi shambled into the audience and cuffed several patrons, flipping them into the air like salmon."

I wish I had been there.

I will gladly pay for more tranquilizer darts if an encore presentation can be scheduled.

Thank you, "Interesting News Items," for finding truly interesting news items to report.

Your faithful reader,

Hector Freem
Yellowstone Park Camp 47
Winnebago #3

mike said...

If you think the Met's new Tosca was bad you should have seen the Washington's Operas production of La Boheme last year.My God Musseta was cast as a whip bearing leather fetish domantrix.The entire production was a parade of the stsge directors sexual fantasies.I thought the opera would end with everyone singing a few bars of Springtime for Hitler.Talk about bad taste.

 
HumorLinks